Neuroscience Answers on Quora
Lately I have been answering neuroscience questions on Quora, a recently popular Q&A website where I have 40,000 followers (and growing). I maintain a Quora blog of top answers and have provided some representative answers below.
Over 60 answers have been republished to media sites such as Forbes (20+), Huffington Post (10+), Slate (8+), Business Insider (7+), and others. See: representative published answers.
- What does the world look like through the eyes of neuroscience?
- Why do we sleep?
- How has the brain evolved since life began?
- How are memories stored in the human brain?
- How does the brain decide which memories to store?
- Is there any redundancy in human memory?
- Are memories stored physically?
- Why is forgetting different for driving and calculus?
- Why is it difficult to remember things from before 3-5 years of age?
- Why do I sometimes confuse memories of dreams with memories of reality?
- How can we see images in our mind?
- Is everyone's experience of color the same?
- Where in the human perceptual system does color blindness occur?
- What is black?
- How do we know when someone is looking at us?
- What is consciousness?
- Is there such a thing as the subconscious?
- Is consciousness an emergent property of the brain or a fundamental property of matter?
- How many neurons are needed to create a conscious entity?
- What is dreaming and why do we do it?
- Why aren't there smells in dreams?